Tracking the trends 2017
The top 10 trends mining companies will face in the coming year
Philosopher Friedrich Nietzche—admittedly not the cheeriest of men—was once quoted as saying “There are no facts, only interpretations.” The observation is surprisingly salient for today’s mining executives, whose perceptions of the market are strongly influenced by their particular operational realities.
Now in its 9th edition, this year’s mining report notes a mood of cautious optimism brewing in the mining industry for the first time in several years. With many commodity prices on the rise, shallow growth returning to different end markets and most mining companies in better cost positions than in the recent past, companies now face some key choices as to where to invest and how to position themselves in the coming years. These decisions require a careful consideration of where to play and how to win. They also require a more structured approach than ever before so that mistakes of the past are not repeated.
The report presents the top ten industry trends as well as strategies that back the trends for mining enterprises. This year, the report includes more case studies to showcase how some companies are bringing new solutions to life.
The top 10 issues mining companies will face in the coming year include:
- Understanding the drivers of shareholder value - Miners seek a balance between financial discipline and growth
- Unlocking productivity improvement - Focus shifts to becoming serial innovators
- Operating in an ecosystem - Collaboration and unorthodox partnerships will drive the industry forward
- The digital revolution - Mining starts to reinvent the future
- Mapping the threat landscape - Cyber security concerns accelerate
- Creating a shared vision for the sector - Moving from compliance to a potential source of competitive advantage
- Re-earning the social license to operate - Environmental sustainability and energy management move into sharper focus
- Supporting strategic priorities - Mining companies move to transform their operating models
- Creating healthy and inclusive workforces - Wellness and diversity are rising on miners’ agendas
- Adopting an integrated approach to reporting - Demands for greater disclosure and transparency increase