Fintech by the numbers Bookmark has been added
Fintech by the numbers
Incumbents, startups, and investors adapt to fintech evolution
From disruptive threat to enabling partner, fintech has entered a new phase of its evolution. Our insights track the development of the fintech market and examine how banks, insurers, and investment management companies are tackling fintech transformation initiatives.
Deloitte’s fintech interactive tool—newly updated!
Do you follow the fintech movement in financial services? View Deloitte’s fintech interactive tool to stay updated on changes in the fintech market. This interactive tool tracks competitive fintech startup and investment intelligence across banking and capital markets, insurance, investment management, and real estate. Here are some notable trends through full-year 2019 that we’ll continue to track this year:1
- 20 venture capital (VC) backed fintechs were launched in the year 2019, versus 70 in 2018.
- 1,510 funding events helped 1,061 fintechs raise $69.2 billion through various rounds of funding.
- Even with a steep decline in new startup formations, total year investment of $69.2B has surpassed total 2018 figures by 14 percent.
- Strong fundraising continued in banking and capital markets ($36.8B) and real estate ($25.3B) fintechs, with those sectors receiving 90 percent of total funding in 2019.
- USA based fintech investments stand at $38.9B, more than any other country, accounting for 56 percent of total funding in 2019.
- IPO volume was down in 2019 vs. 2018, and Payments fintech Lakala’s $2.8B in IPO valuation—the largest of 2019—represented 36 percent of the total.
1 Source: Venture Scanner data; Deloitte Center for Financial Services analysis