Fintech by the numbers has been added to Bookmarks.
Fintech by the numbers
Incumbents, startups, and investors adapt to fintech evolution
From disruptive threat to enabling partner, fintech has entered a new phase of its evolution. Our insights track the development of the fintech market and examine how banks, insurers, and investment management companies are tackling fintech transformation initiatives.
Deloitte’s fintech interactive tool—newly updated!
Do you follow the fintech movement in financial services? View Deloitte’s fintech interactive tool to stay updated on changes in the fintech market. This interactive tool tracks competitive fintech startup and investment intelligence across banking and capital markets, insurance, investment management, and real estate. Here are some notable trends through Q1 2020, based on Venture Scanner-reported data, that we’ll continue to track this year:1
- 30 venture capital (VC) backed fintechs were launched in the year 2019, versus 76 in 2018. No reported launches in Q1 2020.
- 179 funding events helped 152 fintechs raise $9.3 billion through various rounds of funding.
- In line with the steep decline in new startup formations, Q1 2020 investment of $9.3B has dropped by 37 percent compared to Q1 2019 investments.
- Strong fundraising continued in banking and capital markets ($5.3B) and real estate ($3.1B) fintechs, with those sectors receiving 90 percent of total funding in Q1 2020.
- USA based fintech investments stand at $4.3B, more than any other country, accounting for 46 percent of total funding in Q1 2020.
- IPO volume dropped by 67 percent in Q1 2020 vs. Q1 2019 with only two fintechs going public in Q1 2020.
1 Source: Venture Scanner data; Deloitte Center for Financial Services analysis