Fintech by the numbers Bookmark has been added
Fintech by the numbers
Incumbents, startups, and investors adapt to fintech evolution
From disruptive threat to enabling partner, fintech has entered a new phase of its evolution. Our insights track the development of the fintech market and examine how banks, insurers, and investment management companies are tackling fintech transformation initiatives.
Deloitte’s fintech interactive tool—newly updated!
Are you a leader, manager, or analyst in financial services or fintech? View Deloitte’s fintech interactive tool to stay updated on changes in the fintech market. This interactive tool tracks competitive investment intelligence across banking and capital markets, insurance, investment management, and real estate. Here are some notable trends from the first half of 2019 that we’ll continue to track this year:1
- Only three venture capital (VC) backed fintechs were launched in H1 2019, versus 42 in 2018.
- 631 funding events helped 563 fintechs raise $29.5 billion through various rounds of funding.
- Even with a decline in new startup formations, H1 2019 investment of $29.5B is on track to reach or even surpass 2018 figures.
- The Banking and Capital Markets and Real Estate industry sector fintechs continue their strong performance and ability to raise funding, contributing $18B (61 percent) and $8.5B (29 percent) of total funding in H1 2019 respectively.
- USA based fintech investments stand at $15.7B, more than any other country, accounting for 53 percent of total funding in H1 2019.
- IPO volume was down in H1 2019 vs. H1 2018, and Payments fintech Lakala’s $2.8B in IPO valuation—the largest of 2019—represented 50 percent of the total.
1 Source: Venture Scanner data; Deloitte Center for Financial Services analysis