Climate change is not a choice. It’s billions of them.
In response to the carbon peaking and carbon neutrality goals in China, WorldClimate focuses on driving responsible climate choices within our organization and beyond, creating solutions that facilitate the transition to a low carbon economy so as to bring professional insights and strengths to the harmony between economy and environment.
Mitigating the impacts of climate change is a monumental task. Yet, we know progress is possible if we act collectively. It is vital that business and society all take urgent and immediate action.
We believe change starts within. Deloitte China is committed to taking measurable, decisive action on climate change, empowering Deloitte professionals and engaging the broader ecosystem to create solutions that facilitate the transition to a low carbon economy. To further implement this, Deloitte China has launched WorldClimate and focuses on the following four aspects.
1. Commitment to science-based net-zero with 2030 goals
Deloitte’s near-term (2030) greenhouse gas (GHG) reduction goals have been validated by the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) as 1.5°C-aligned, science-based targets. Deloitte China has also committed to set long-term emissions reduction targets using the SBTi’s Net Zero Standard.
Our near-term goals are to:
- Reduce absolute Scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions 70% by 2030 from a 2019 base year.
- Reduce Scope 3 GHG emissions from business travel 50% per FTE by 2030 from a 2019 base year.
- Engage with our major suppliers with the goal of having 67% (by emissions) set science-based targets by 2025.
- Invest in meaningful market solutions for emissions we cannot eliminate.
Our additional 2030 goals to reduce emissions include:
- Sourcing 100% renewable energy for our buildings
- Converting 100% of our fleet to hybrid and electric vehicles
Deloitte’s near-term goals (2030) were validated in advance of the issuance of the SBTi Net-Zero Standard. Deloitte China’s next step will be to set long-term emissions reduction targets following the SBTi standard to continue playing our part in achieving a net-zero world.
2. Embed sustainability
Deloitte China recognizes we must align our climate policies, practices, and actions across our organization, by:
- Designating a senior leader to be responsible for climate in each geography;
- Prioritizing discussion of climate change on executive agendas;
- Embedding climate-smart considerations into operational decisions; and
- Continuing to report the organization’s annual emissions externally for transparency and accountability.
3. Empower individuals
By engaging and educating our professionals at Deloitte China on climate change impacts—decisions about what they consume, use, and buy—we will enable our people to make positive climate choices at home and at work, and amplify these through their personal networks.
4. Engage ecosystems
Deloitte China will collaborate with clients, alliance partners, NGOs, industry groups, suppliers, and others to:
- Increase demand for responsible products and services;
- Remove roadblocks that get in the way of enacting change; and
- Create innovative climate solutions at a systems and operations level.
What is your impact?
From the food we consume to what we use and buy, and how we travel, the choices we make have an impact. Our interactive global hub will uncover your impact and the actions you can take to live more sustainably.
The opportunity to create a more sustainable world is at our collective fingertips.