Tax reform and the real estate industry Bookmark has been added
Tax reform and the real estate industry
Understanding the provisions impacting REITs
How will the Tax Cuts & Jobs Act and recent guidance interpreting that legislation impact the real estate industry and the investment entities that fuel its growth? Learn more about the provisions the Tax Cuts & Jobs Act and the related proposed regulations and other guidance that are likely to affect real estate investment trust (REITs) and their counterparts.
The new tax landscape in real estate
The enactment of the Tax Cuts & Jobs Act is having far-reaching consequences and new planning considerations for the real estate industry—particularly REITs and other investors in real estate. Our report examines selected provisions in the Tax Cuts & Jobs Act and related proposed regulations and other guidance and their likely impact on REITs and other investors in real estate. It provides considerations and observations for tax planning purposes.
Learn more about selected provisions impacting real estate, such as:
- Individual tax rate, corporate tax rate, and REIT capital gains/dividends
- Passthrough tax rate
- Carried interest/long-term incentive plans and like-kind exchanges
- Alternative minimum tax and excessive employee remuneration
- Interest deduction
- Partnership technical terminations, non-corporate business losses, and estate and gift tax
- Itemized deductions and net operating losses
- Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act of 1980 and sale of partnership interests
- Foreign-source dividends and repatriation tax
- Global intangible low-taxed income and base erosion anti-abuse tax
- Denial of deductions involving related parties and hybrids
- Definitions of US shareholder and controlled foreign corporation
Explore more about tax reform
Reshaping the code: Understanding the new tax reform law
The enactment of tax reform legislation will have far-reaching consequences for businesses and individuals. This report examines key provisions in the new law—formerly known as the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act—and its likely impacts.
Frequently asked questions about tax reform
This alert contains frequently asked questions (FAQs) about how an entity should account for the tax effects of the new tax reform legislation in accordance with ASC 740.
Tax reform: ASC 740 implications
US tax reform is a high-priority issue for companies. These periodic tax reform alerts highlight the latest tax accounting developments and ASC 740 implications for organizations.
Deloitte’s Tax Reform Navigator
Prepare your organization for the potential impact of tax reform—even in a time of uncertainty. Deloitte Tax professionals use Tax Reform Navigator to deliver customized insights that can help you gain confidence in your business tax reform planning.