2022 Deloitte Restructuring Survey has been saved
2022 Deloitte Restructuring Survey
In this year’s Restructuring Survey, not only have we expanded the stakeholders surveyed to include the views of our clients – the c-suite – but we have also broadened the regions to include key African countries like Nigeria and Kenya. The survey highlights economic sentiment, high impact risks which are often ignored, indicators of financial distress, the state of business rescue in South Africa and distressed M&A.
Practitioners reveal the secret to restructuring success
The mix of restructuring professionals and the c-suite are critical to understanding the key challenges faced by the restructuring industry.
Key findings include:
- Overall sentiment for economic growth in South Africa is pessimistic for the next 12 months
- There is strong optimism for growth in restructuring activity
- External support is seen by the c-suite as less important, sending alarm bells ringing that management teams and their key stakeholders are working at cross-purposes.
- M&A is rapidly gaining pace in being the preferred exit route from distress
- Improving trust between business rescue practitioners and their stakeholders is critical to protect the reputation of business rescue as a restructuring tool
- Respondents across Africa are most concerned about local risks: political uncertainty, the emigration of talent and sovereign debt crises featured prominently across jurisdictions
- 77% of respondents believe that BRP skills are sorely lacking. This is also the view of 90% of the BRPs interviewed.
Deloitte provides restructuring, turnaround and implementation advice and services to underperforming and financially distressed businesses, their stakeholders, and advisors.
In the press:
- Business rescue in South Africa is experiencing a crisis of trust: Survey: 7 April 2022
- SABC News
- SA FM
- Channel Africa
Contact us to learn more about how we approach Turnaround & Restructuring at Deloitte