Benefits spotlight: well-being subsidy has been added to Bookmarks.
Life at Deloitte
Benefits spotlight: well-being subsidy
Creative ways professionals use their well-being subsidy
July 18, 2019
When it comes to problem-solving and finding solutions for clients, Deloitte professionals know there is no one size fits all approach. Instead, teams work together to create a customized and tailored strategy to assist clients. Similarly, when it comes to well-being and holistic development, Deloitte professionals know that personalization is key.
That’s one of the reasons Deloitte offers employees an annual well-being subsidy of $500, which can be used towards the purchase of gym memberships, meditation classes, yoga, and more. According to a Deloitte Consulting LLP business analyst Hilary Horvatits, the well-being subsidy helps her to “ease the financial burden of wellness,” which can add up quickly. “Deloitte helps offset the costs to allow me to take care of myself, making sure my personal well-being can always remain a priority.”
Over the years we have found that our professionals not only take advantage of this benefit, but they have found creative and fun ways to use it towards their well-being goals. Here, a few professionals from across the organization share how they use their well-being subsidy.
I use a large portion of my well-being subsidy for entry fees for marathons and other road races. Most recently, I used my subsidy to help pay for my entry to the New York City Marathon in November 2019. I also use the subsidy for registration fees for intramural sports leagues that I play with fellow Arlington business technology analysts.
- Maddy Berman, business technology analyst, Deloitte Consulting LLP, Washington DC
From aerial skills to acro yoga
I use my well-being subsidy to try out new ways to stay active ranging from intensive Pilates classes to aerial silks, to acro yoga, and more. I'm a big proponent of switching up ways to keep moving fun.
- Rachel Cole, consultant, Deloitte Consulting LLP, Arlington, VA
Online yoga subscription
Even though I am a certified yoga teacher, I still like to take yoga classes. Unfortunately, it's tough for me to get to in-person classes during the week [due to travel], so I rely on my amazing online yoga class subscription, which I help pay for with the subsidy.
- Carin Crook, senior manager, Deloitte Services LP, Stamford, CT
Skiing and biking
I use my subsidy for ski lift tickets and a bicycle membership! I try to make a couple ski trips out west each year, and this is usually the first time I'll tap into the well-being subsidy. With my bicycle membership, each time my annual membership comes up for renewal, I use my subsidy there, too, as I try to bike to and from the client site when it’s here in NYC and the weather is nice.
- Art Wong, senior manager, Deloitte Consulting LLP, New York, NY
Training to become a certified vinyasa teacher
I’ve used my subsidy on a plethora of things over the years, including gym membership, a new fitness-tracking watch, training equipment, and massages. The most exciting way I’ve used my subsidy is to help pay for my 200-hour training to become a certified vinyasa yoga teacher. I finish my program at the end of April and I’m planning to start teaching a few times a week.
- Hilary Horvatits, business analyst, Deloitte Consulting LLP, Nashville, TN
- Well-being needs are different for everyone. Deloitte is committed to supporting the diverse well-being needs of its people in body, mind, and purpose. Learn more about our well-being initiatives.
- The well-being subsidy is only one of the many benefit offered to Deloitte employees. Learn more about our benefits and rewards.
- Learn ways to enrich your personal well-being, improve work-life balance, and create a culture of wellness at work with the WorkWell podcast series.