Case interview tips
Stacking your skills up against a real business challenge
If you're a candidate for Deloitte Consulting LLP, you'll be asked to demonstrate your problem-solving skills, your analytical ability, as well as your strategic and logical thinking. These case interviews can also help us assess your common sense, creativity, and comfort with ambiguity. At the same time, you'll gain insight into our approach because these cases represent real client projects.
How to stand out in your case study interview
During a case interview, you'll be asked to demonstrate your problem-solving skills, analytical ability, and strategic and logical thinking. Use these tips to help you prepare.
Case interview tips
Cases can help us assess a candidate across multiple dimensions, and your answers should project clear thinking, practical judgment, and a professional demeanor. Apply this five-step approach while working through the case interview:
- Understand the issue; ask clarifying questions as needed
- Identify the underlying assumptions
- Summarize specific issues and findings
- State your recommendations
- Outline next steps and expected results/impacts
We want candidates to have an effective and enjoyable case discussion so we encourage you to follow the case interview tips below. You are not expected to provide the "right" answer, but rather clearly convey your logic and thought process. Sample case interviews provide examples and mimic an actual case dialogue.
To help you demonstrate your best thinking in the case interview, we encourage you to:
- Take notes throughout the case exercise
- Be sure you understand the case question
- Ask questions, but don't use them as a crutch—we're interested in how you connect the dots, not in painting the picture for you
- Develop and articulate a framework and the initial hypothesis that you intend to explore
- Take time to compose your thoughts–don't just start talking
- Structure your analysis into a clear, logical story
- Walk the interviewer through your thinking and explain your assumptions
- Don't panic—engage the interviewer in a business conversation
- Don't forget that the case interview is an opportunity to learn about a Deloitte project
View our case interview preparation tool for more help in getting ready for your case interview