2016-2017 Global CIO Survey
Navigating CIO challenges and implementing CIO strategy
This year’s report focuses on how CIOs can chart the strategic course to create their legacy—creating lasting value to the business— despite the challenges of rapid digital transformation. Globally, 1,217 technology leaders participated in this research across 23 industry segments. Examine the findings from the 2016-2017 global CIO survey.
- Access the full report
- Deloitte on Tech iPad app
- News coverage
- Check out the infographic
- Listen to the Dbrief
- Take the pattern type assessment
- Contact the CIO Program
- About the CIO Program
- Meet our leaders
- Connect with @DeloitteOnTech
CIO strategy in the face of challenges
In the 2015 global CIO survey, we showed you a map for creating legacy, which we define as how technology leaders deliver lasting value to their organizations. Our key finding was that effective CIOs add value in three distinct patterns based on the needs of the business. Trusted operators ensure operational excellence, change instigators enable large business transformations, and business co-creators focus on revenue and growth. This year, we plot the course. The theme of this year’s global CIO survey—Navigating Legacy—focuses on how CIOs can chart the journey between pattern types as they look to create their legacy.
- Nature vs. Nurture: How much control do CIOs have in creating a lasting legacy? According to our research, the answer is, “a considerable amount.” In fact, for CIOs, inherent skills and traits appear to matter much less than the capabilities that they instill in their IT organizations – capabilities that can be delivered by CIOs of all personality types.
- The needs of the business: A CIO’s legacy is largely a function of the value they create for the enterprise. But just how does a CIO create business value? This year’s survey showed significant gaps between CIOs’ perception of how they are delivering value to the business and the business’s stated priorities and expectations. We address how effective foresight on the part of the CIO enables them to effectively prepare themselves and their IT organizations to strategically support the next business need and even influence the direction of the business overall.
- Charting the course: How will you navigate through uncharted business expectations? Savvy CIOs are looking not only at current business priorities and needs, but also at future business direction—and they are charting a course for that journey. Ultimately, change is the only constant. This year’s report will allow CIOs to assess their current CIO pattern. More importantly, it will help them determine which pattern will enable them to deliver more value in the future so they can plot how to shift from one pattern to the other.
The bottom line? CIOs can shape the future strategy. The “digital” era presents a challenging and exciting time for CIOs as they navigate business needs and challenges around digital technologies. Because the CIO has a unique purview of digital’s comprehensive potential reach across the organization, he or she can actually do more than anticipate—they can shape the strategy. Read the full report through Deloitte Insights for more on how the CIO can chart the course to create their legacy.
Gain instant access to the CIO survey on the Deloitte On Technology iPad app. Enjoy a rich multimedia experience on the go, complete with sharing, comment, and contact capabilities. On the app, you can also access our Tech Trends report series including videos and infographics with direct access to Deloitte subject matter experts.
Deloitte predicts machine intelligence, not mere AI, as a big trend for 2017
VentureBeat, FEB 8, 2017
Days of ‘demonizing’ shadow IT are behind us, CIO says
IT BusinessEdge, JAN 25, 2017
IT leaders need to be business leaders first, CIO says
IT BusinessEdge, JAN 17, 2017
How two CIOs define digital
TechTarget, DEC 19, 2016
What’s your CIO legacy? Deloitte has some ideas for you
TechTarget, DEC 19, 2016
CIOs: How to be a business leader in three steps
TechTarget, DEC 19, 2016
Keeping IT aligned with shifting business priorities
Wall Street Journal, DEC 14, 2016
CIO legacy: Personality is not destiny
Wall Street Journal, NOV 30, 2016
IT leaders struggle to sway business stakeholders
CIO, NOV 21, 2016
Subway launches digital unit to revamp mobile app and stores
CIO, NOV 18, 2016
Navigating legacy: CIO Survey results are in
Wall Street Journal, NOV 16, 2016
Deloitte Survey: CIOs Shift Business Priorities
ABL Advisor, NOV 15, 2016
Survey Finds Large Gaps Between Business Expectations and IT Capabilities
Forbes, NOV 14, 2016
CIO Priorities Shift from Business Performance to Customers
Read IT Quik, NOV 14, 2016
Why CIOs must step up to lead digital transformation efforts
TechRepublic, NOV 11, 2016
CIOs Still See Gaps in IT-Business Alignments: Survey
CXOToday, NOV 11, 2016
Deloitte CIO Survey Finds Expectations Gap in Tech
Accounting Today, NOV 10, 2016
MARS CIO Notes Technology Shift
Consumer Goods Technology, NOV 10, 2016
Global CIO Survey Dbrief
Check out our Dbriefs webcast "The evolving expectations of the CIO: How leading CIOs are navigating success", which occurred on November 18, 2016. Listen to the discussion on the 2016-2017 global CIO survey findings and the proactive steps that CIOs are taking to meet the evolving needs of their enterprise and drive the vision of their IT organizations.
Determine your pattern type
Take a quick assessment to identify your current pattern type. Gain further insights in the report on the business conditions that may require a shift between pattern types and the key considerations and steps required to navigate from one pattern type to another. Take the pattern type assessment now.
About the CIO Program
CIOs lead unique and complex lives—operating at the intersection of business and IT to deliver value to their organizations. To help CIOs manage these challenges and issues, Deloitte has created the CIO Program. The program provides distinctive offerings to support the CIO career lifecycle through leadership development programs, immersive lab experiences, insight on provocative topics, and career transition support to complement the technology services and solutions we provide to our clients.