2017 mid-market technology trends report
Survey of middle market companies: Closing the gap
For five years, our reports have explored technology trends among mid-market and private companies. This year’s survey results show how these companies are shifting priorities and resources to capitalize on investments they anticipate will have the most impact on increasing productivity, improving customer engagement, and predicting business outcomes.
- Download the PDF
- Watch the video
- Highlights of survey findings
- Explore previous surveys
- Get in touch
Closing the gap
Results from our mid-market technology trends survey provide compelling evidence that companies in this market segment are taking dramatic steps to not only deploy emerging technologies, but also to eradicate the organizational barriers that once slowed their adoption.
Highlights of key findings include:
- The respondents recognize that a wide spectrum of middle market technology trends are producing productivity gains, and they are upping their IT budgets to capture them: 36 percent now spend more than 5 percent of revenue on technology versus 26 percent a year ago. Another 50 percent spend between 1 and 5 percent.
- A growing number of mid-market companies we surveyed see value in aligning business and technology requirements, and are accomplishing this by exploring IT governance practices (24 percent, up from 10 percent last year).
- The results also show stronger collaboration between IT and business leaders when it comes to managing the IT agenda—34 percent versus 24 percent a year ago—a nod to shifting dynamics in the C-suite.
- Analytics and cloud solutions remain at the top of the list, but a vast majority of companies have plans to tap breakthrough technologies such as blockchain (77 percent) and mixed reality (64 percent).
About the survey
From July 14 to July 24, 2017, this Deloitte Growth Enterprise Services survey conducted by OnResearch, a market research firm, polled 500 mid-market executives to explore technology trends, determine the role and value of technology, and help gauge how it influences business decisions. Survey respondents were limited to executives at companies with annual revenues ranging from $100 million to more than $1 billion.
- Technology in the mid-market—Taking ownership (2016)
- Appendix: full 2016 survey results
- Disruption in the mid-market: How technology is fueling growth (2015)
- Appendix: full 2015 survey results
- Technology in the mid-market: Perspectives and priorities (2014)
- Perspectives on technology: Mobility and the cloud in the mid-market (2013)