Hello mainframe, our old friend has been saved
Hello mainframe, our old friend
Think mainframes are on their way out? Think again.
After years of focusing on rapidly advancing capabilities and migration strategies, a cloud-centric marketplace has taken hold—but where does that leave the mainframe? And what are tech leaders prioritizing right now? In our 2020 Mainframe Market Pulse Survey, a commissioned study conducted by Forrester Consulting on behalf of Deloitte, we asked US-based business and IT leaders about their biggest challenges, the future of IT, and whether they saw the mainframe as modern or a dinosaur of an era gone by. And the results might surprise you.
The challenges of hybrid
What are the biggest business challenges when it comes to mainframe modernization, total cost of ownership, talent, and security? How are tech leaders planning to approach legacy transformation projects and hybrid in the future?
Despite the belief that mainframes are being left behind in favor of cloud-based technology, they’re not going anywhere. If anything, interest and investment in mainframes is on the rise as business and IT leaders across industries validate its enduring role in their hybrid strategies.
But what will it take to make the vision of leveraging both a reality?
Data protection and security are so critical, and mainframes remain one of the most secure and powerful platforms available when the right controls are in place.
-Terri Cobb, IBM Alliance Lead, Deloitte Consulting LLP
Maintaining, managing, and migrating a mainframe-based environment is extremely complex—we get that.
Mainframes are a strategic component to many modern IT strategies. Plus, they’re rapidly evolving to meet the demands of today’s changing technology and business environments.
- We have the resources and experience to help address skills gaps, with a network of nearly 1,000 mainframe-focused professionals across the globe.
- We understand total cost of ownership, and we can help organizations reduce cost across infrastructure, software, security, talent, and more to make the most of their investments.
- Our tools, accelerators, and resources help make sense of existing code, applications, and infrastructure to see a more complete view of the IT landscape.
- We’re innovating and building mainframe-based solutions to speed up modernization efforts.
- We bake security into everything we do. With pervasive encryption and other next-gen capabilities, we can help protect and preserve what matters most.