Using science to improve the art of relationships
Expressly designed for use in a business context, Business Chemistry® draws upon the latest analytics technologies to reveal four scientiﬁcally based patterns of behavior. The system is designed to provide insights about individuals and teams based on observable traits and preferences.
- Built on science
- Watch the videos
- Business Chemistry's four types
- Business Chemistry® benefits
- Schedule your session
- Get deeper insights
- New Business Chemistry® features coming soon!
- Contact us
- Related topics
Tap the boxes to explore more
Built on science—Business Chemistry® reveals patterns of behavior to improve workplace dynamics
Deloitte teamed with scientists from the fields of neuro-anthropology and genetics to develop a system that leverages modern computational techniques to bring a data-driven approach to observing and understanding differences in people’s business styles. The resulting system is easy to remember, but with a sophisticated underpinning that highlights statistically relevant behavioral cues in a business environment.
- Business Chemistry is rooted in science, and designed for business. Leveraging powerful, patent-pending computational techniques, Business Chemistry is a data-driven approach to understanding people—both in terms of what they are as well as what they are not. The system is focused on traits that are core to business behavior, such as risk-taking and communication styles, and founded on characteristics with biological linkages which provide better stability over time.
- Business Chemistry is focused on interaction, not introspection. A system that steps beyond helping you understand yourself, Business Chemistry is designed primarily to help you recognize preferences and styles of others—without having them take a test—by measuring observable, business-relevant traits. The focus is on improving the effectiveness of your interactions with other types of individuals, as well as combinations of types in team environments.
- Simple application and a sophisticated system. The system draws on complex algorithms to assess behavior and preferences, but then translates those results into easy-to-learn patterns that are simple to remember and apply. Utilizing clues from your everyday interactions, Business Chemistry allows for a “thin slicing” approach to personality data—focusing in on the things that really matter—for quicker identification and connection with others.
- Personalized Individual and team insights. Business Chemistry sheds light on team dynamics by highlighting the unique aspects of each individual while also considering the composition of the group as a whole. Analysis of team composition provides perspective on relative strengths and areas of misalignment to understand how to best utilize each individual’s natural tendencies, while leveraging the overall group makeup to achieve goals.
Business Chemistry’s four types
Deloitte developed the Business Chemistry® self-assessment* to help provide insights about individuals and teams based on observable business behaviors. Business Chemistry draws upon the latest analytics technologies to reveal four scientifically based patterns of behavior. The four primary Business Chemistry types are:
- Pioneers seek possibilities. They spark energy and imagination.
- Drivers seek challenge. They generate momentum.
- Guardians seek stability. They bring order and rigor.
- Integrators seek connection. They bring teams together.
Business Chemistry® benefits the individual, team, and organization
Business Chemistry® can be a helpful tool to learn more about each person on a team. This understanding creates awareness and connections that may not have been discussed even after years of working together. The group learns more about their individual types, what to look for in others, and brainstorms ways to engage more effectively with one another.
Once an individual understands their own preferences and behavior, it then looks at the overall composition of the group and related potential pitfalls and strength areas. The Deloitte Greenhouse™ Business Chemistry sessions can highlight specific objectives of the group, and delve into how to better leverage the strengths of the team to meet their goals.
Finally, Business Chemistry® can help dive deeper by discussing strategies to engage more effectively with the organization’s stakeholders.
Schedule your Business Chemistry® Session
Business Chemistry® sessions are interactive experiences from The Deloitte Greenhouse™ Experience that include session design, professional facilitation, and system research and tools to understand the behavioral dynamics we encounter in business every day.
A Business Chemistry® session can:
- Determine your own Business Chemistry® Composition. Spend 10 min answering a 70 question survey, or assess yourself in-session.
- Understand yourself. Delve into the predilections and potential pitfalls.
- Understand others. Learn what to look for to develop hunches about others through observations.
- Adapt your style. Explore ways to engage more effectively with individuals and your team.
- Explore your team. Understand your team’s composition and unique characteristics.
Get deeper insights from Business Chemistry® research and the Chief Chemists
Since its inception, Business Chemistry® has been used by 40 percent of the Fortune 500 and more than 150,00 individuals in 120 countries. The empirical data collected has enabled a deeper understanding of Business Chemistry types and how they interact with each other. This allows for research and insights around topics that help organizations, teams and individuals learn more about applying the learnings to real-life situations.
The Business Chemistry Blog. The Business Chemistry Chief Chemist blogs about how teams and relationships fuel our work with timely topics and unique insights. Visitors can share their viewpoints and thoughts about new topics. Subscribe today and don’t miss new content!
Business Chemistry Stress Study. New research from The Deloitte Greenhouse™ Business Chemistry team, shows how working styles and preferences can impact how we experience and cope with stress.
Biz Chem 20 Questions, a tool that helps one create a hunch about someone else’s type.
Business Chemistry® Confessions: A new podcast series that features common workplace situations that Business Chemistry, when applied, can help navigate. Hosted by Kim Christfort and Dr. Suzanne Vickberg.
Business Chemistry® Data Bites: Visually explore the data behind our research via social media. Follow @DeloitteUS on Twitter.