Impact of the US Supreme Court decision in Wayfair Bookmark has been added
Impact of the US Supreme Court decision in Wayfair
Move forward with confidence
If your company is not currently filing sales and use tax returns in all jurisdictions where you have sales, the outcome of Wayfair may impact your company.
- How does Wayfair affect your business?
- Deloitte can help turn what now?
- Navigate complexity with confidence
- Next steps
- Your company’s path forward
- Delve deeper into the Wayfair decision and learn more from our Multistate tax alerts
- Join the conversation
- Related topics
How does Wayfair affect your business?
- Retailer and eCommerce—Businesses with large retail or eCommerce sales, but who lack a physical presence in many jurisdictions, may now be subject to sales or use tax collection and remittance responsibilities.
- Software as a Service (SaaS) and digital goods/services—Businesses selling SaaS, cloud, and digital goods/services to end users, which lack a large nexus footprint, may now be subject to additional sales and use tax collection and remittance responsibilities.
- In-bound companies—Businesses with no US permanent establishment (PE) that sell into the US may now have US sales or use tax collection and remittance responsibilities.
If your company is not currently filing sales and use tax returns in all jurisdictions where you have sales, the outcome of 'Wayfair' may impact your company!
Deloitte can help turn what now? into a defined course of action
- Will your company have additional compliance obligations as a result of Wayfair?
- Does your company understand the state-specific rules applicable to its industry to properly determine the taxability of products and services and the related reporting obligations or nuances?
- Does your company have effective and efficient technology that allows the company to calculate, invoice, collect, and remit sales and use tax or other indirect taxes required by Wayfair?
- Will the longer-term implications of Wayfair cause your company to rethink your Indirect Tax function in the face of increased compliance and reporting obligations? Has your company considered analytics, co-sourcing, or out-sourcing the return compliance operations?
Navigate complexity with confidence
Wayfair potentially increases the complexity of complying with sales and use tax laws and, more than ever, companies need to consider proactive tax planning measures for the changing path ahead. Through a combination of tax advisory services, insight, experience, and technology, Deloitte can help your company understand its current posture, reveal the potential impacts, and make recommendations in order to meet compliance obligations. Deloitte’s indirect tax specialists can assist with the analysis of processes and technology, help plan and execute your next steps, and monitor future state tax law and regulatory changes.
Understand your company’s current posture
Reveal the potential impacts of the Wayfair decision
Process and technology options
Plan and take action
Monitor and address change
Your company’s path forward
Deloitte’s capabilities in addressing this changing tax landscape:
Depending on life cycle and industry, each company may require a customized, strategic plan to address the changes in the sales and use tax landscape. Deloitte professionals have the experience to assist with strategic analysis and guide your company through this new and evolving landscape.
Conduct a detailed review of your company to better understand your business, characterization, taxability, and filing footprint.
Characterization and taxability.
Analyze the appropriate character of your company’s product or service and whether that product is subject to sales and use tax.
Technology readiness assessment.
Evaluate, plan, and take action to immediately address process and systems to limit exposure and enhance tax calculation and reporting capabilities.
Cosource or outsource compliance.
Assist in sales and use tax compliance, from preparation to a filing.
Taxing Jurisdiction Audit support.
Assist in a wide range of services from initial data review to coordinating with the auditor in responding to information requests.
Delve deeper into the Wayfair decision and learn more from our Multistate tax alerts
Access the archived webcast and download the slides from SCOTUS on Wayfair case: The path forward for sales-and-use tax reporting. Gain insights into this pivotal SCOTUS decision and potentially significant changes to internal systems and processes that companies may need to consider.