Life at Deloitte
Pro bono and skills-based volunteering
Making an impact. Every day.
Deloitte’s pro bono and skills-based volunteering programs are key components of our commitment to leveraging the skills and experience of our people to make an impact that matters in our communities.
Deloitte’s pro bono approach is based on the idea that we can make a more significant impact in communities by tapping into our most valuable resource—the skills of our people. Our most significant investments are made through a formal pro bono program where nonprofit projects are funded by the business and then staffed and evaluated like any other paid client engagement. In addition to this, we also provide numerous other opportunities for our professionals to volunteer their skills in the social sector. These programs allow us to not only drive social impact, but also grow our talent by providing leadership, professional skill development, and team building opportunities.
Deloitte Pro Bono Program
The guiding principle of the Deloitte Pro Bono Program is to treat our pro bono clients exactly the same way we treat our paid clients.
When our clients hire us, they seek and expect the full depth and breadth of the capabilities that Deloitte has to offer. We realized that it should be the same with our pro bono clients. Why? Because, while each pro bono project is championed by someone at Deloitte who is passionate about the cause, the resources available to deliver the work extend far beyond that individual and their capabilities. For us, this means leveraging our existing client service model to staff, fund, monitor, and evaluate pro bono projects.
Over the past four years, Deloitte professionals have delivered more than 1,000 pro bono projects, clocking more than 340,000 client service hours.
Deloitte’s pro bono projects consistently receive high ratings for impact—from both our clients and our people:
- 60 percent of Deloitte’s pro bono clients report “significant” or “transformational” capacity gains—meaning the nonprofit realized a greater than 20 percent improvement in productivity as a direct result of the project.
- Our people love pro bono, too! 83 percent said their pro bono experience made a positive impact on their job satisfaction and 60 percent reported significant gains in job-relevant skills.
Deloitte’s transformative collaboration with City Year including intellectual capital, volunteer leadership and financial resources has propelled City Year to develop and execute effective strategies in support of keeping students on track to success.
- Jim Balfanz, President, City Year
Examples of other pro bono opportunities
- Board service: 3000+ Deloitte professionals demonstrate their exceptional commitment to the nonprofit community by serving as nonprofit board members. We also offer programs where junior staff can shadow Deloitte leaders who serve on nonprofit boards.
- Service trips: Every year, 200+ Deloitte Consulting LLP professionals lead and participate in week-long service-related consulting projects to educate and empower local nonprofits and micro-enterprises. We work with nonprofits in the US and in developing countries such as Guatemala and Nicaragua.
- Inspire: Deloitte Consulting LLP is a member of Inspire, a national, nonprofit consulting organization comprising volunteers from leading management consulting firms. Through Inspire, our practitioners provide small-scale strategy projects for nonprofit, youth-focused clients.