COVID-19 response capabilities for health care organizations has been saved
COVID-19 response capabilities for health care organizations
Rapidly combating COVID-19 with resilience
The COVID-19 pandemic has caused health care organizations to adjust to clinical resource and financial challenges that would have previously been unthinkable. Where can your organization focus its response? And what should you do next? Learn how we can help you combat the coronavirus with resilience.
- Ways to respond to COVID-19
- Key COVID-19 response areas
- Questions leadership should consider in planning their response
- Get in touch
- Join the conversation
Implications of the COVID-19 crisis for the health care ecosystem
For nearly two years, we’ve been talking about the future of health; envisioning what health care might look like in 2040, how it might take shape, and the radical changes that would occur between now and then.
Seemingly overnight, the COVID-19 pandemic has rapidly changed the course of health care’s future. The health care ecosystem and the consumers it serves face an unfamiliar world of remote working, virtual doctor visits, and a supply chain marked by extreme shortages.
But perhaps the most significant force for change in health care’s future (beyond the pandemic itself), is consumer behavior. Consumer behavior will guide the re-emergence of the sector. Grief, uncertainty, and fear will likely drive consumers to behave very differently in the recovery phase, enhancing the need to focus on meeting consumers where they are and delivering post-pandemic care on their terms.
What does this mean for the health care ecosystem not just today, but tomorrow? How will the decisions and investments organizations make now—in the midst of uncertainty—sow the seeds for the next normal and their ability to thrive in it? And will the new reality provide consumers the opportunity to receive quality, equitable care when it’s needed so they can focus on their long-term well-being?
Ways to respond to COVID-19
Deloitte can help health care organizations respond to the pandemic by drawing on the scalable, experienced support of our industry-leading health care professional services organization and expertise honed during the H1N1, Zika, and Ebola responses.
There are several areas where organizations can focus their responses:
Key COVID-19 response areas
Explore further insights
Understanding health care stressors and mental well-being in COVID-19 frontline workers
Considerations for health plan leaders
Recovering from the pandemic and planning for the future
Questions leadership should consider in planning their response
Chief executive officer
- How can I make sure my patients have safe, convenient access to care and testing?
- How can I enable quick and streamlined communications to patients, employees, and my teams?
- How can I remove barriers in the supply chain?
Chief information/technology officer
- What digital capabilities are most important for immediate investment?
- Which capabilities and solutions are most reliable and best for my tailored needs?
Chief operating officer
- What are the operational implications to pushing back elective procedures and surgeries?
- What forecasting can we be doing to better manage supplies?
- How can we manage call volume more efficiently?
Chief medical officer
- How can I enable quick and streamlined communications to patients?
- How can I help ensure the safety and protection of staff and physicians at the frontlines?
- What virtual options exist for me to enable exposed clinicians to still serve patients while in quarantine?
Chief strategy officer
- What programs and revenue streams need to start and stop in the next three months, six months, and year?
- What do we do with the recent investments we have made?
- What other investments should we be considering?
- What can we do to better prepare for ongoing uncertainty in the ecosystem?
Chief financial officer
- What can we be doing proactively to make up for canceled or delayed elective procedures and surgeries?
- How should I be thinking about internal controls we have in place, and how might I need to change them?
- How will our organization need to pivot in the next 12 months to recapture losses?
Explore more of Deloitte’s COVID-19 resources